Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Jewel Casket

The Jewel Casket
The Kitchen Maid
The Lady of Shalott
the night watch by rembrandt
She pulled off in disgust a bandage which could suggest such wild thoughts. ¡¡¡¡`And you've got no collar on' (Tess had been accustomed to wear a little white collar at the dairy). ¡¡¡¡`I know it, Marian.' ¡¡¡¡`You've lost it travelling.' ¡¡¡¡`I've not lost it. The truth is, I don't care anything about my looks; and so I didn't put it on.' ¡¡¡¡`And you don't wear your wedding-ring?' ¡¡¡¡`Yes, I do; but not in public. I wear it round my neck on a ribbon. I don't wish people to think who I am by marriage, or that I am married at all; it would be so awkward while I lead my present life.' Marian paused. ¡¡¡¡`But you be a gentleman's wife; and it seems hardly fair that you should live like this!' ¡¡¡¡`O yes it is, quite fair; though I am very unhappy.' ¡¡¡¡`Well, well. He married you - and you can be unhappy!' ¡¡¡¡`Wives are unhappy sometimes; from no fault of their husbands - from their own.' ¡¡¡¡`You've no faults, deary; that I'm sure of. And he's none. So it must be something outside ye both.' ¡¡¡¡`Marian, dear Marian, will you do me a good turn without asking questions? My husband has gone abroad, and somehow I have overrun my allowance, so that I have to fall back upon my old work for a time. Do not call me Mrs Clare, but Tess, as before. Do they want a hand here?'

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Jewel Casket

Anonymous said...

The Jewel Casket