Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Rembrandt Biblical Scene

Rembrandt Biblical Scene
Rembrandt The Jewish Bride
Return of the Prodigal Son
Samson And Delilah
We had half-an-hour, I think, for tea. When I had money enough, I used to get half-a-pint of ready-made coffee and a slice of bread and butter. When I had none, I used to look at a venison shop in Fleet Street; or I have strolled, at such a time, as far as Covent Garden Market, and stared at the pineapples. I was fond of wandering about the Adelphi, because it was a mysterious place, with those dark arches. I see myself emerging one evening from some of these arches, on a little public-house close to the river, with an open space before it, where some coal-heavers were dancing; to look at whom I sat down upon a bench. I
oil painting
wonder what they thought of me! ¡¡¡¡I was such a child, and so little, that frequently when I went into the bar of a strange public-house for a glass of ale or porter, to moisten what I had had for dinner, they were afraid to give it me. I remember one hot evening I went into the bar of a public-house, and said to the landlord: 'What is your best - your very best - ale a glass?' For it was a special occasion. I don't know what. It may have been my birthday. ¡¡¡¡'Twopence-halfpenny,' says the landlord, 'is the price of the Genuine Stunning ale.' ¡¡¡¡'Then,' says I, producing the money, 'just draw me a glass of the Genuine Stunning, if you please, with a good head to it.'

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Rembrandt Biblical Scene"
还没有评论。 - 显示原始文章

Anonymous said...

Rembrandt Biblical Scene