Sunday, January 27, 2008

Spring Breeze

Spring Breeze
Sweet Nothings
The Abduction of Psyche
The British Are Coming
suicide, and the whole force of my hopeful philosophy was required to keep me from going over the side in the darkness of night. ¡¡¡¡Several times Wolf Larsen tried to inveigle me into discussion, but I gave him short answers and eluded him. Finally, he commanded me to resume my seat at the cabin table for a time and let the cook do my work. Then I spoke frankly, telling him what I was enduring from Thomas Mugridge because of the three days of favoritism which had been shown me. Wolf Larsen regarded me with smiling eyes. ¡¡¡¡'So you're afraid, eh?' he sneered. ¡¡¡¡'Yes,'
oil painting
I said defiantly and honestly, 'I am afraid.' ¡¡¡¡'That's the way with you fellows,' he cried half angrily; 'sentimentalizing about your immortal souls, and afraid to die. At sight of a sharp knife and a cowardly Cockney, the clinging of life to life overcomes all your fond foolishness. Why, my dear fellow, you will live forever. You are a god, and a god cannot be killed. Cooky cannot hurt you. You are sure of your resurrection. What's there to be afraid of?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Spring Breeze"