Monday, October 29, 2007

The Three Ages of Woman

The Three Ages of Woman
The Virgin and Child with St Anne
The Water lily Pond
Venus and Cupid
Yes. That's unfortunate. I have hardly any other friend. I have, indeed, one very old friend here somewhere, but I don't quite like to call on him just yet. I wonder if you know anything of him-- Mr. Phillotson? A parson somewhere about the county I think he is." ¡¡¡¡ "No--I only know of one Mr. Phillotson. He lives a little way out in the country, at Lumsdon. He's a village schoolmaster." ¡¡¡¡ "Ah! I wonder if he's the same. Surely it is impossible! Only a schoolmaster still! Do you know his Christian name-- is it Richard?" ¡¡¡¡ "Yes--it is; I've directed books to him, though I've never seen him." ¡¡¡¡ "Then he couldn't do it!" ¡¡¡¡ Jude's countenance fell, for how could he succeed in an enterprise wherein the great Phillotson had failed? He would have had a day of despair if the news had not arrived during his sweet Sue's presence, but even at this moment he had visions of how Phillotson's failure in the grand university scheme would depress him when she had gone. ¡¡¡¡ "As we are going to take a walk, suppose we go and call upon him?" said Jude suddenly. "It is not late."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Biblis painting

Anonymous said...

The Three Ages of Woman