Sunday, September 7, 2008

George Frederick Watts paintings

George Frederick Watts paintings
Guercino paintings
Henry Peeters paintings
confidentriposte, and I could only hope he'd think its lameness deliberately feigned.
"Always assuming I don'twant the joke to be on me," he mocked. I'd have lost my hold entirely at this point had it not swept suddenly, bracingly through me, like the frigid breeze we stood in, that ifFailure andPassage was in truth a false distinction, as I'd come to believe, then it made no difference whether that belief was true or false, as either way it was neither. How hopelessly innocent I'd used to be! Instead of trying to outwit Stoker, therefore -- by replying "Exactly," for example -- I resolved to outwit him bynot trying to. I paused beside the first parked motorcycle and said without expression or emotion: "Take me to Great Mall."
He hesitated for the briefest moment -- during which, I imagined, a herd of pluses and minuses locked horns -- then he mounted the cycle, started the engine. . . and surprised me after all by moving off, not only impassively but without a word! In a cold sweat of doubt I sprang on behind him, and desperately bet everything on candor.
"You've got me so mixed up I'm sweating!" I called as we throttled

No comments: