Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Chef To Go

Chef To GoJennifer Garant Bathing LadyPedro Alvarez Tango Argentino
Would you care for something to read?" Mother asked automatically.
"No -- no thank you, ma'am."
She ignored the new nameplate on her desk and eased herself into the swivel-chair as though ready for work, though the office lights were out and she still had her coat on. "Well, you look around and let me know if you want anything, sonny. There's nothing like a good book."
My heart lifted not a little; I kissed her hair. Again, from her innocent darkness, she had illumined me!
"Listen carefully, Mom," I said; "Can you call for the Founder's Scroll? I want to put it back in its case." Whatever fugitive notion I'd had earlier concerning this item of my Assignment gave way before a true inspiration: Had not Enos Enoch and a hundred other wayfaring dons of fact and fiction taught, by their own example, that the Way to Commencement Gate led through Nether Campus? Was not my answer,Failure is Passage, but an epigrammatic form of that same truth?Re-place the Founder's Scroll had seemed, in the spring, the simplest and clearest imperative of all, and yet the bafflingest, since the

No comments: